I get really excited when I find a new spice paste. They save a huge amount of expense and time in the kitchen. This week I bought the Belazu tagine paste from Sainsbury’s and was pleased when my first experiment with it came up trumps.
This Aubergine tagine only needs to cook for 20 minutes, is full of flavour and is satisfyingly filling
Toast some flaked almonds lightly in a pan with a little oil to top
- 1 x Aubergine
- 2 cups Bulgar wheat
- 1 handful of raisins
- 1 handful Chopped dried mangoes
- 2.5 tbsp Belazu tagine paste
- 1 x Roughly chopped bell pepper
- 300 ml Vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup Natural yoghurt
- 1 handful Chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 tbsp diced cucumber
- Preheat oven to 220c
- Choose a caserole dish with a lid (or one you can cover with foil). In it, mix the bulgar wheat, raisins, chopped mangos, 1 tablespoon of tagine paste and vegetable stock.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of the tagine paste with 2 tablepsoons of olive oil. Baste your sliced aubergines with this mix. Pop the aubergine slices and roughly chopped pepper in a roasting dish
- Pop both the caserole dish and roasting dish in the oven for 20 minutes
- Once your bulgar wheat has softened it is ready. Mix in the now roasted aubergines and peppers.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of the tagine paste with the natural yoghurt and chopped mint
- Serve your tagine with a good dollop of your mint yoghurt on top. Yum!